Would you like to:
- Deepen your study by immersing yourself in the teachings and practices of yoga?
- Bring the gift of yoga to others?
- Make a positive life change?
The CITYOGA Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) is a comprehensive introduction to the art and science yoga. It is designed to give you a broad experience of the healing and transformational path of yoga. By the end of the course you will possess a firm foundation for teaching others, in addition to deepening your own yoga practice.
Our program meets and exceeds the requirements set by Yoga Alliance. Graduates receive certification as Hatha Yoga Teachers and will be eligible for the National Yoga Alliance Teacher Registry. This full-yoga experience offers:
- A safe and sacred space in which transformation can occur. You will have the opportunity to deepen the connection with yourself, others and the world around you.
- The art and science of guiding students into postures with safety, bringing them into a deeper knowledge of their own bodies and providing them with an opportunity to be wholly present without judgment.
- The opportunity to experience and understand the correlation of breath, body, emotions and belief systems through work with asana, pranayama, and other tools of yoga.
- Instructions to help you develop and fine-tune the tools and communication skills to effectively and safely teach yoga.
- Study of Patanjali`s Yoga Sutras and other ancient texts.
The curriculum includes:
- Techniques - includes asana (posture), pranayama (breath), and meditation skills and practice
- Teaching Methodology - instructional technique, demonstration, assisting, coaching, correcting, teaching styles, qualities and process
- Anatomy and Physiology - includes both physical and energy systems
- Philosophy, Ethics, and Lifestyle - study of yoga styles, philosophy, and an examination of what it means to lead a yogic life. This section also explores the business aspects of being a yoga teacher. Creation of individual resumes, cover letters, and presentation material are included.
- Practicum - includes student teaching, observation, and assisting. Each student teaches at least one complete yoga class and receives feedback from students and instructors.
- Elective - 30 hours of student-directed, elective study
Marsha Pappas, E-RYT500 has been a diligent yoga student for more than 20 years. Since completing her teacher training under the direction of Swami Satchidinanda at the Integral Yoga Ashram in 1996, she has been teaching yoga full time in and around the Indianapolis area. With a focus on the stress reducing aspects of yoga, she now also leads Stress Management workshops around the city and state. Marsha is a founding member of the Indiana Yoga Association and the Director of the CITYOGA 200-hour teacher-training program.
Dave Sims, as program director of CITYOGA School of yoga and health teacher training, Dave, E-RYT500 embraces the opportunity to provide space for students and teachers to share their passion for yoga. Dave began his Yoga journey several years ago while following a recommendation from a friend to try yoga while preparing for a marathon. Dave began to realize the value of yoga to improve ALL areas of his life and embraced the Mind, Body and Spirit dimension, particularly complementing Dave’s thirty plus years of meditation practice and thousands of hours teaching and practicing yoga. By “living his yoga” Dave continually studies the ancient yogic texts to impart their philosophical teachings to his students. Dave continues to be an impassioned student of yoga. Dave has had the honor of learning from amazing teachers; Marsha and Nikki at CITYOGA, Jaggi Vasudev of Isha Yoga, Rolf Gates (500 hr Advanced Vinyasa training) and finds inspiration from many very accomplished local and national Ashtanga teachers.
The 200 hour is structured as a 21-week semester. Semester classes meet one evening (Tuesday) per week from 5:30pm until approximately 10:30pm. In addition, three weekend seminars and student independent work are required. CPR and First-Aid training may be available (additional fee not included).